Monday, June 7, 2010

My weekend project...

I've been searching for some giant polka dot fabric for awhile, but I couldn't ever find a print where the dots were big enough. I wanted BIG dots! I was so excited when I found these polka dots at one of my favorite shops, The Material Girls Quilts in South Jordan Utah. The dots are pretty big, I could have probably gone a little bigger, but maybe that would have been over the top. They had all sorts of colors, but I settled on the black with white dots and bought 2 yards.

I've made plenty of skirts for my two girls, but never one for me. I'm afraid of zippers and the size of my hips. But I wanted a big polka dot skirt so bad that I decided I could wait no longer. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It has an elastic waist band (no scary zipper), which wasn't my first choice, but it was also the easiest choice.

I think it turned out pretty cute. I call it my "I don't have anything to wear to church tomorrow!" skirt, because it only took me about an hour and a half to make Saturday night. I thought about taking pictures and writting up a tutorial, but gave up half way through. There are already tons of free skirt patterns on the web anyway. My favorite thing is it only cost me about 20$ to make (2 yards of fabric and elastic). It would have cost less if I could have settled for sale fabric (I hate spending 10$ a yard on fabric!!!) but when I find what I am looking for I gotta grab it up. I have a quarter of a yard left over, what do you think... matching bag or matching skirt for my little "C"?


2 comments:

  1. I have seen that fabric at Material Girls - the next time you go, let me know and I'll tag along!

    Dang cute skirt...I've been thinking of making some of my own since I have to wear skirts everyday to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name! I also love the length and look! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete