Thursday, December 15, 2011

The perfect gift for a reader



This is actually the first piece of jewelry I've ever made. I saw this idea on pinterest and fell in love. I love to read but I especially love going back to my favorite books and rereading them. It's comforting to revisit all my favorite characters and stories. Maybe a lot like how my little 4 year old will watch her favorite movies over and over and over again. As I write this she is watching A Charlie Brown Christmas for the 3rd time in a row (she's sick so we are having a TV and pajama day).

I had a hard time deciding what book to use for this project but I ultimately decided that Lizzy and Darcy were my favorite. I also considered something from Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Jane Eyre (a very close second) and yes even Twilight (but only for a second). I could make more and carry all my favorite literally characters around my neck, depending on my mood.



All I did was make a photocopy of a page out my very well loved and reread book, Pride and Prejudice. It took me a minute to find the perfect bit of text, but I really liked this one with both "dearest Lizzy" and "Mr. Darcy" so close to each other.



I used this Diamond Glaze stuff that I've had on hand to adhere and seal my text to the jewelry. I found this little charm at my local craft store. It actually had something else attached, a little picture of a bird I think, but it was so cheap it peeled right off.





My husband and I both love to read. I think it was one thing (one of the many) that made us fall in love, our common love of books. We have a seriously cool collection of old books on our book self. Some of these books date back to the 1800's. It's one of my favorite things in our home.


No comments:

Post a Comment